Wednesday 23 November 2011

Procrastination, and Not Doing it

Regular readers, if there are any, may have noticed that I've not posted much in the last week or so; I've also made no progress on my novel. Problem: too many time sinks. Between Cracked, Cheezburger and Minecraft, I don't leave myself a lot of time to get things done, and that time has to go towards my degree and trying to find some work experience for next summer - in short, it's entirely my own fault and I need to pull my socks up and stop procrastinating. I shall try.
Top of my Christmas list* this year is more self-discipline and the ability to not lose track of time, but until someone wraps those up and puts them under the tree, I'll have to make do with what I've got.


At the end of the day, whatever your reason for doing it, the only way to stop procrastinating is to exercise some willpower and decide to get on with things.
For starters, I've unfollowed Cracked and Cheezburger on Twitter - I'm not going so far as to try not to spend any time on those sites, but I'm hoping that out of sight = out of mind. I've also decided to have a Minecraft-free week, starting today, and so that I don't forget, I've renamed the shortcut as DO NOT TOUCH!!! I'm also setting myself clearer targets. For instance, before next Monday, I intend to have made proper notes on my novel and found names for more of the characters - names are one of my personal bugbears.
I'll let you know how that goes on, and good luck to anyone else trying to overcome bad habits of procrastination.


*I also wouldn't mind more comments on my blog, and a few more clicks on the adverts would be a nice extra.

No comments :

Post a Comment